Thursday, May 5, 2011

Climate Change

Watching Home was a very eye opening experience for me and quickly became one of my favourite films not just for it's amazing cinematography but the message it was trying to convey. I found myself glued to the screen and ignoring anything other than the film  for it's entire duration as I was just in awe of the facts and figures that were being thrown at me. 

To think that a lot of the damage being caused to our home, Earth is caused by the creation of new and "better" things such as those from the industrial design industry really gave me a lot to think about as it really is myself and my classmates duty to preserve this earth for future generations while still allowing for the growth of society and culture through the introduction of newer, greener products. 

I actually found it quite ironic that as I mentioned the film in a conversation with a friend, he told me that where he works actually uses the visuals from Home to advertise all their newest televisions. The idea that a film about the degradation of our earth is being used to sell the products which are playing such a large role in this really shocked me and got me thinking. While this film conveys the facts that everyone needs to know and understand, I even noticed myself so taken away by the films visual aspects that I was left skipping over what was being said to the point that even a few days after watching the film, the main thing I could remember about it was the cinematography. While of course I recalled the damage and destruction we have caused our earth especially over previous years, I was unable to actually recall any of the facts which were mentioned. 

As up and coming industrial designers in this stage of our Earth's life, I really do feel a duty to aid the growth of our culture and society through utilising greener and more enrionmentally friendly ways of going about out lives and Home has certainly helped me reach this point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment